Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Power 90 Day 48 - 20 – Showing off my Beach Body


This is the time of year all of us Beach Body people wait for, the chance to show off what our hard work has gone for.  A trip to the beach.  (OK I am just joking as I have nothing worth showing off, nor is that my overriding goal).  But I was off to the beach nevertheless.  All three hundred pounds of me complete with lose skin and pasty white complexion.  Over the years if there is one thing I have hated, its trips to the beach.  Let’s face it, the beach is for many people, it is not however for fat guys who burn. 

As I readied myself for this trip, I quickly came across my first problem.  I am the owner of two swim suits.  The first one I have been wearing for the last 6 or 7 years and as I tried it on found it to be way too big.  The second one I wore in college (yes, I hate to throw things out) this option however was a little too small.  So I went with a pair of shorts and my usual double shirt combo as I almost never go in the water, again, fat guy who burns. 

On the way to the beach we had to stop and grab a cheap bite to eat.  Temptation Challenge, here I come.  After looking over the menu I found what I thought would be a great option, a black bean and rice burrito.  Sounded tasty and with no meat I figured a healthy option.  I ordered it with a soft taco which I knew to be around 200 calories I figured I would come in under 400 calories with low fat.  I was wrong.  610 Calories, 82 carbs, 21 fat and only 24 grams of protein.  Back to the drawing board. 

When we got to the beach the kids hit the water and the adults watched them.  This is usually what I do, until I looked out and saw my bored son.  Being stuck at the beach with his sister and cousins (girls younger than his sister) was not sitting well with this 9 year old young man as he sat and looked at the deeper water that he could not pass into.  So off I went.  Super dad to the rescue.  I am sure I looked like some guy from Baywatch and I peeled off the shirt and hit the water.  And Connor and I swam and swam and swam.  Almost three hours in the water. 

In the end, I scorched the top of my shoulders and was pretty sore.  I also reeked of lake water.  But I had a good time with my son.  A year ago I would not have been able to convince myself to hit the water.  I know there is still nothing “worth” looking at when I am at a beach, but I had the confidence to play with my children and that has to be worth something.   

Here’s a look at my Food Journal for Saturday:

Breakfast: 3 Fried Eggs, 2 Slices Whole Wheat Rye Toast (308Calories)

Lunch:  Taco Bell (1 Soft Taco, 1 Black Bean Burrito) (610 Calories)

Dinner: Turkey Burger, with cheese stick and mushrooms, Whole Wheat Bun  (385 Calories)

Evening Snack:  Ice Cream Sunday (small soft serve, hot fudge, nuts) (375 Calories)

Also I haven’t done it yet, but I wanted to send a kudos out to my brother-in-law Jeff, who has decided to get in shape himself and has been at The Biggest Loser on the X-Box Kinect for a week now.  Sure it’s not Power 90, but I would be more afraid to have Jillian yelling at me then Tony.  Anyway I may have Jeff guest blog here sometime next week. Till Then…

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work! In my opinion,being able to do more with our kids is reason enough for all the torture of diets and excersize, beach body or not!!

    ReplyDelete